Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Teach Like a Pirate... I NEED TO CATCH UP!

Friday was my last day of school for the year and the celebrations began! I celebrated with my amazing co-workers after the last bus on Friday... My very best friend (who I am sooo lucky to be her Matron of Honor) joined the 30 year old club and we celebrated all Saturday and Sunday I celebrated my friend Megan becoming a mom as well as visiting family. So I am a little behind..

This is technically my first week of summer break, and I signed up for training that is full day Mon-Fri this week. Certainly not how I pictured my first week, but I guess you could say.. I'm learning how to teach science LIKE A PIRATE!

So since I have been beyond busy, I am going to lump my 2 cents  combine posts for the last few chapters that I have missed to catch myself up. Hopefully after this week of training, I can get my act together!

Chapter 5 Transformation:

     Dave starts this chapter discussing how monotony and soul-killing suckiness seem to describe a typical school day. I feel that I have tried my hardest to keep some monotony because students with disabilities thrive in a setting that is predictable.. I believe the lessons should be UNPREDICTABLE. I have the same feelings as Dave does when he says, "I want my class to stand out in a sea of sameness that is the educational landscape." I want the kids in my class to be "noticed" and "recognized" as part of a fun prestigious class in the building who is always learning, growing and constantly buzzing about what we are doing in our room.
Question 1: If your students didn't have to be there would you be teaching in an empty room? I think that some of my students would be there. Although the fact that students not being there at this age solely lands on the hands of the parent, this isn't too much an option. I mean a 7 year old doesn't really have the option to stay home. In fact MOST of my kids want to be in school, but parents don't have transportation or "mom didn't get up" are frequent excuses.
Question 2: Do you have any lessons you could sell tickets for? YES!! This question correlates with what I tell my student teachers... you are putting on a show all day long for 7 year olds. I do need to work on being able to sell tickets for EACH lesson I teach, but I feel like I have a few very fun and exciting lessons that I LOVE to teach.. that I would in fact sell tickets!

Chapter 6 Enthusiasm:

     I think in most part this year was one of my best years teaching because I was enthusiastic about being there and teaching more than I ever have been. It is easier to be more enthusiastic about teaching when you have a good group of students and I had an amazing class of children. Incorporating my passion of Disney into my classroom. I agree with Dave 100% that you have more buy-in with students when you are over the top excited and completely enthusiastic about what you are teaching. Even if it is just the way you speak and pretend like what you are doing is the best thing these kids will EVER do. This entire chapter is what I try to bring out in my student teachers: You are putting on a "show".. what will your "show" look like? You don't want to be dull and boring to watch.. you want to SELL TICKETS!

Chapter 7 The Third Circle:

     I love the Venn Diagram Dave has used in this chapter. I think that the way a lesson is delivered plays and equal or greater role in how much information students retain.  I have seen many lessons from myself and student teachers that start off interesting and quickly become just a "regular" lesson. The Third Circle is probably the most difficult for me in the world where every observation hinges on my ability to teach explicit instruction. One of my goals for the upcoming school year is to find a way to still explicitly teach to make the "grade" on my APPR but still including a unique design to lessons to keep students engaged. I love the analogy of serving students a FULL meal for each lesson. I like how Dave describes simple ways to "up" the presentation with things as simple as turning the lights off or playing soft music. I will definitely be revisiting this chapter because Dave provides simple suggestions to help aid with the transitioning during lessons to avoid losing engagement!

Much Love!
                       Jackie

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping I have brilliant flashes of genius and come up with some ideas as amazing and Dave Burgess's!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete