Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Teach Like a Pirate: Passion

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

I am linking up with one of my very best friends for this book study.. and while I am still 8 days away from the end of my tunnel summer vacation, I am already thinking about next year and what I can do differently to be more engaging to students. 
Chapter 1: Passion
There are 3 different kinds of passion described in Chapter 1. 
Content Passion
Professional Passion
Personal Passion

Dave asks "Within your subject matter, what are you passionate about teaching?" 
Well I am most passionate about teaching science. I love watching children "doing" learning. I think that is most fun to me when they click with it. I have also a great passion for literature based lessons. I love connecting EVERYTHING to a book. I absolutely love reading books and sharing stories with my students. Students remember the stories and activities they did when reading together. 

Dave asks "Within your profession, but not specific to your subject matter, what are you passionate about?"
I absolutely love my students. Spending time with them and listening to their stories is rewarding for me. They come in each day telling me how much they love me and what a great teacher I am. I love their laughter. I can't count how many hugs and giggles I get from my students everyday. I love spending time with them and they love coming to my class. That is what makes teaching most rewarding!

Dave asks "Completely outside of your profession, what are you passionate about?"
For me, this is a long list of things! I am very passionate about my family. I love spending time with my husband and my puppy. I take entirely way too many pictures of my dog, but he's just so cute! I also love sports- baseball and football.. and because my husband is overly passionate about hockey.. that too! I also am very passionate about DISNEY! I love going to Disney World. It truly is the happiest place on Earth (for me). I have incorporated all of these into my classroom this year. My classroom is Disney themed.. I am immediately happier when I am there just because of the decorations and such in my room. I also share simple stories about my husband and my pup. The kids love hearing silly stories about my puppy and they love when I can connect my personal life with a lesson. They are immediately more engaged even if it is just using them in a story problem for math. 

Dave connects teaching to being a pirate. Being daring and courageous to enter into uncharted territories. He is absolutely right. We use our passion to keep us going when days get long. We are willing to do whatever it takes! 

"Individuality of expression is the beginning and end of all art." Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe


*Jackie*

6 comments:

  1. Great post!! If only we could teach IN Disney World... the personal passion part would be taken care of for us!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post! I agree the little kid laughter is the best. Can you send me some of your passion for science? The six weeks of rocks and soil that we have just about kills me!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen! I completely understand! We started implementing some new Core Read alouds and they were not a whole lot of fun! I had to force myself to really enjoy it! I have my Polar Animals unit in my TPT store right now.. I am hoping to get my insect unit up this summer! Both of these are literature based science units (about a month long) You will just need to visit the library to get the books : ) I also love doing simple science experiments with the kids.. I think my favorite is the pop bottle with the balloon- the kids LAUGH so hard when the contents in the bottle blow up the balloon : ) Maybe I will do a post about science soon... Stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Love how you have already connected many of your outside passions, like Disney, into your classroom!! I have agree, by the way, not much better than hearing the laughter of students and knowing they are having fun while learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jaclyn!! Wondering if you had any pictures of your Disney themed classroom?? I have been dying to do a Disney them but wasn't sure I could find enough to pull it off?? Wanted to do "Learning is Magical in Kindergarten"!!
    Shannon
    wvuheer88@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shannon!! I have shared a few things on my Monday Made It Posts. I will share more as I get them moving : ) Check those out to help jump start your creativity! Disney makes us all a little happier I think.. it is a great theme for littles <3

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete